Howdy friends of write bloody. Just wanted to let our fans know that next year, there will be no submission contest. For March 2014, we are going back to the old way of veteran WB authors telling the press of someone who has blown them away and is willing to tour. There are many presses out there to peep at too. Some of our favorites are wave books, black ocean press and future tense. also, university of hell is doing some really neat stuff too. I just wanted to give folks plenty of heads up.
- No items.
WRITE BLOODY AUTHOR REQUIREMENTS
All authors published by WB must be able to tour. All we ask is that you perform 20 shows/readings the year your book is released. 6-12 per year after. We help with booking. You plan the tour. It’s your call. Get paid from book sales and buy them off us at wholesale. The money goes right into your pocket. You also get roylaties on books we sell. We ask that you utilize your web presence to help promote your new book. At WB, marketing is a team endeavor. You cannot be the flakey artist. You must have a quality website by the time your book is released. You must promote. You must be able to fall in love or a kind of it.
We do not take manuscript submissions at any other time.
We often select four to twelve authors a year. Some are via this open submission process.
We will not have an open submission every year. But we are this year!
email@example.com with questions, we’d love to hear your input. Do not submit early. Good luck. Remember, do not submit your work early before the submission period.
1. You must purchase a book from Amazon, Powells or another online retailer, or physical bookstore before submitting. Please include your transaction ID from this purchase in your cover letter. If you purchased a book in the past please purchase one again. This helps us pay for editor costs. Qualifying books may be purchased as early as Feb 1, 2013.
2. FILE FORMAT
Submissions must be in .doc, docx or .pdf format. No other file formats will be accepted. You’d be surprised how many submissions are not read because we cannot open them.
3. Name your file in the following manner– Your name, your possible title and file type. 40% of people last year skipped this step. yourname.manuscripttitle.doc
EXAMPLE FILE NAME: “derrickbrown.chicagohotdogstories.doc”
Last year, 40% of people skipped this step.
4. DO NOT ADD IMAGES OF ANY SORT TO YOUR SUBMISSIONS.
5. CONTENT AND GRAMMAR GUIDELINES
Unless you are submitting a very specific theme or conceptual book idea (where poem order is imperative), put your best poem first, and so on. A bad starting poem will make reading the second poem less intriguing.
Before submission, please be sure to check all of your grammar, punctuation and spelling. Are all of your theirs, theres and they’res in proper order? Do you mean your or you’re? Poor grammar makes any submission less readable. Mistakes happen, just try to correct them before sending them to us to decipher. We are also a bit bored by all lower case poems.
FOR ROUND ONE
The top 20-30 submitters from round one make it to the finals. All submissions are read by 12-15 editors, not just Captain Brown.
- Fit 3 of your best poems within 5 pages. Font size 10, Times New Roman, Garamond or Helvetica.
- For reference books, please submit 10 pages.
- All submissions must include a cover letter which can be pasted into a special cover letter box when you click on the submishmash link.
- Here is WHAT TO INCLUDE IN YOUR COVER PAGE.
Advancers will be announced between April 1-15, 2013.
FOR ROUND TWO
From Round 2, 4 to 12 are chosen to join the family.
- A manuscript of 40 quality poems or 30 reference book pages
- A youtube video of you reading one poem or a selection from your reference manuscript. It can have creative license and does not have to be just a live performance. The youtube video will be judged by the amount of likes it received and by scoring from our editors. This video accounts for 20% of your total acceptance score.
- Make sure your manuscript and submission are formatted correctly.
Those advancing to Round 2 for reference books or poetry will be announced and then posted only on our homepage. We will not contact each author. You must check out our website for finalists.
THANKS AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU, FANTSMA-WRITER!